This carrot cake is best made in the fall or winter when fresh carrots are in season.
- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 60 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- For Cake
- Eggs 4
- Oil 1 cup
- Flour, sifted 2 cups
- Caster sugar 2 cups
- Carrots, shredded 3 cups
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda 1 teaspoon
- Ground cinnamon 1 teaspoon
- For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Cream cheese, softened 200 gm
- Butter ½ cup
- Icing sugar, sifted 2 – 3 cups
- Vanilla essence ½ teaspoon
- 1. For Cake
- 2. Add all dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon) in a large bowl. Whisk with a fork and set aside.
- 3. Beat eggs till yellow and creamy. Add each egg one at a time and then beat for about 30 seconds.
- 4. Add oil and caster sugar and beat for a minute.
- 5. Add dry ingredients and carrots. Fold them in with a spatula.
- 6. Add walnuts and/or raisins with a spatula.
- 7. Pour in a 13 x 9 rectangle pan.
- 8. Bake at 180 degrees C for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean.
- 9. Cool on a wire rack completely before frosting.
- 10. For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 11. Make sure that you sift the icing sugar before using it.
- 12. Beat cream cheese and butter till soft & creamy for 30 seconds – 1 minute.
- 13. Add icing sugar in ½ cup increments till the frosting is thick. If you prefer a much sweeter frosting then add about 2 – 2.5 cups of sugar otherwise 1 – 1.5 cups is good.
- 14. Add vanilla essence.
- 15. Once the cake is cool, spread the frosting with a spatula on the top and the sides.
Notes:Photo credits: ohsweetday