Chatpatti Chicken Biryani
Every house has its own version of biryani – give this chatpatti version a try and tell us what you think.
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- COOK TIME: 40 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 1 kg chicken
- 1 kg rice
- 2 onions, sliced and fried brown
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 4 cloves
- 5 peppercorns (kali mirch)
- 5 cardamoms (elaichi)
- 1 teaspoon black cumin seeds (kala zeera)
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- Pinch of yellow color
- 2 lemons
- 4-6 green chilies, ground (blended into a paste)
- Few mint leaves
- Coriander (dhaniya) leaves
- 3 tablespoon milk
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Butter or ghee, as required
- 1. Soak rice for 15 minutes.
- 2. Marinate chicken with red chili powder, ginger garlic paste, cardamoms, peppercorns, cloves, lemon juice and blended green chilies paste.
- 3. Heat oil and add marinated chicken. Cook for 20 – 30 minutes till chicken is cooked. Set aside.
- 4. Boil rice with black cumin seeds and salt till almost done and drain.
- 5. Layer the chicken with the rice, sprinkle brown onion on top, mint leaves, coriander leaves, milk and yellow color.
- 6. Dot with some butter or ghee, let it simmer on low heat on a griddle, till rice is fully cooked. Serve with cucumber raita.
Notes:Photo credits: Shutterstock