The smell of cinnamon and bread wafting through the house when these rolls are being made is absolutely scrumptious.
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes (plus dough rising time)
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 1/4 -ounce package yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter, plus more for pan
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus more for pan
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 to 6 tablespoons hot water
- 1. Heat oven to 180 degrees C.
- 2. Dissolve yeast in warm water and set aside.
- 3. Take a large mixing bowl and add milk, sugar, butter, salt & egg. Mix it together till smooth.
- 4. Add 2 cups of flour and stir.
- 5. Add yeast mixture.
- 6. Mix in the remaining flour, ½ cup at a time till the dough comes together and becomes easy to handle. Knead dough on lightly floured surface for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 7. Place in well-greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled in size, usually 1 to 1 1/2 hours.When doubled in size, punch down dough.
- 8. Roll out on a floured surface into a 15 by 9-inch rectangle. Spread melted butter all over dough. Mix sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over buttered dough. Beginning at the 15-inch side, role up dough and pinch edge together to seal. Cut into 12 to 15 slices.
- 9. Coat the bottom of baking pan with butter and sprinkle with sugar. Place cinnamon roll slices close together in the pan and let rise until dough is doubled, about 45 minutes. Bake for about 30 minutes or until nicely browned.
- 10. Meanwhile, mix butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until the glaze reaches desired consistency. Spread over slightly cooled rolls.