Almond Chocolate Chip Cookies
Keep a jar of these cookies in your house all the time. We love the crunch of the almonds and of course the chocolate chips.
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour / maida
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180 C. Line two cookie sheets with baking paper.
- 2. Place the almonds in a dry skillet over medium heat. Stirring often, toast them for 2 to 3 minutes until fragrant. Be careful they don’t burn. Take them out on in a plate and set aside to cool. Once cool, roughly chop the toasted almonds.
- 3. Pour the melted butter in a medium bowl and add sugar, salt & vanilla essence. Stir well to combine, then add the egg and beat it in quickly. Sift in the flour, baking powder, and baking soda, then stir until a few floury patches remain in the dough. Touch the dough to test the temperature — if it is warm, pop it into the fridge for a few minutes to cool it down (so the chocolate chips won't melt).
- 4. Add the chopped almonds and chocolate chips to the bowl and gently stir into the dough.
- 5. Roll heaping tablespoons of dough into balls. Place onto a lined cookie sheet spaced about 2 inches apart. Bake for 7 to 10 minutes, until golden around the edges with a soft center. Let the cookies sit on the tray for a minute then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.