Hummus with Pita Bread
Hummus with toasted pita bread is a classic middle eastern snack!
- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- For Hummus:
- 2 cups chickpeas (either boil dry chickpeas or use canned); reserve the liquid and a few chickpeas for garnish
- 1/4 cup tahini sauce; available at most supermarkets in the city
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, peeled & chopped
- ½ - 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder (dhaniya powder)
- ½ teaspoon paprika, plus more for garnishing
- Juice of 2 lemons
- For Pita Bread:
- Pita Bread Packet (available from supermarkets)
- 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Italian Herbs
- 1. For Hummus:
- 2. If using dry chickpeas, soak them overnight and then boil with salted water till tender. Reserve the boiling liquid for use in making hummus.
- 3. Add chickpeas, tahini sauce, olive oil, garlic cloves, salt, cumin powder, paprika and lemon juice. Pulse for a few seconds.
- 4. Add the reserved chickpea liquid (as needed) and blend to form a smooth mixture.
- 5. Taste & adjust seasonings. You might need to add a bit more lemon juice, salt or tahini sauce sauce based on personal preference.
- 6. Take the hummus in a dish. Top with a drizzle of olive oil, paprika and reserved chickpeas.
- 7. Serve chilled with toasted pita bread.
- 8. For Pita Bread:
- 9. Pre-heat oven to 180 C. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- 10. Use a scissor a knife to cut pita bread into triangles.
- 11. Put the cut pita triangles in a large bowl. Add olive oil and Italian herbs. Toss together.
- 12. Spread the seasoned pita bread on baking sheet.
- 13. Bake for 15 minutes till light golden. Turn them after 5 - 10 minutes so it's toasted on both sides.