This creamy middle eastern dip is made from roasted eggplants, tahini sauce & spices.
- PREP TIME: 5 minutes (plus 60 minutes for roasting eggplant)
- COOK TIME: 5 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- 1 kg eggplants / aubergines / brinjals /baighan
- ½ cup tahini sauce (sesame sauce paste available in most supermarkets)
- Juice of 1-2 lemons (adjust to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 – 1 ½ teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 2-3 tablespoons yoghurt
- Olive oil, for garnish
- Paprika or red chili powder, for garnish
- Mint leaves or Coriander Leaves, for garnish
- 1. Prick eggplants with a fork. Grill them on either a stove top on an open flame or in the oven.
- 2. Stovetop method – prick eggplant with fork and put on low-medium flame. Keep turning till roasted & smoky.
- 3. Oven method – prick eggplant with fork. Drizzle with a bit of oil & salt. Wrap in aluminum foil or put on a baking tray. Roast for 45 minutes - 1 hour till roasted & smoky. Keep turning every 20 minutes or so.
- 4. Remove the eggplant and place on a plate to let cool.
- 5. Drain juices, remove the skin and scoop out the pulp.
- 6. Put the pulp in a food processer or blender. Add garlic, lemon juice, salt, tahini and yoghurt (optional). Pulse for about 30 seconds – 1 minute till smooth. If you prefer a chunkier texture then only pulse for a few seconds.
- 7. Taste & adjust lemon juice or salt as per your taste.
- 8. Pour out in a bowl.
- 9. Garnish with olive oil, red chili pepper or mint.
- 10. Serve with pita bread.