Rocky Road Bars
These rocky road bars make for a quick dessert or snack. Get the kids involved in making these for a fun kitchen play activity.
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes plus 45 minutes to set in refrigerator
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- ½ -1 family roll tea biscuits, broken into pieces (crush with a rolling pin)
- 300 grams dark chocolate, chopped
- 30 grams butter
- 1 cup mini-marshmallows (the colorful the better)
- ½ cup almonds
- 50 grams chocolate coated candies (e.g. M&M's)
- Glass dish
- Cling film
- 1. Put the biscuits in a Ziplock bag. Crush with a rolling pin and set aside.
- 2. Heat water in a sauce-pan. Once it comes to a simmer (little bubbles on the edges) put a large glass bowl on top. This creates a double boiler which will help in melting the chocolate carefully.
- 3. Add the chopped chocolate and stir every minute or so till it melts. Add butter and stir through.
- 4. Put a large frying pan on medium heat. Add the almonds and toast until light golden & fragrant. Make sure they don’t burn. Let them cool and then roughly chop.
- 5. Line any square dish with cling-film (you can check our video for how-to line the pan).
- 6. Fold the chopped almonds, crushed biscuits and mini-marshmallows in the melted chocolate. Once it is thoroughly coated pour in the prepared dish.
- 7. Refrigerate until set (at least 45 minutes).
- 8. Take the prepared rocky road out. Take off the cling-off and cut with a sharp knife into bars or bite sized pieces.
Notes:You can also use normal marshmallows but cut with a serrated knife before using.