No Bake Cheesecake
This no bake cheesecake has a crushed biscuit base with a vanilla flavored cream cheese filling.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes + 4 hours setting time
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 1 ½ cup crushed biscuits (plain cookies or tea-time biscuits) – about 2 family packs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups chilled cream, divided
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (about 2 ½ tablespoon)
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup – 3/4th cup icing sugar
- 300 grams cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 180 C
- 2. Put the biscuits in a Ziploc bag and crush with a rolling pin. Alternatively, pulse in a food processer till fine crumbs are formed.
- 3. Put the crushed biscuits in a bowl. Add salt and drizzle melted butter. Whisk well with a fork.
- 4. Press the biscuits in a glass baking dish or a 9 inch springform pan.
- 5. Bake for 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- 6. Take out 1/4th cup cream in a microwave-safe dish.
- 7. Sprinkle gelatin and whisk with a fork to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes; it will get thick and clumpy.
- 8. Microwave the gelatin for 30 – 40 seconds to dissolve. Set aside.
- 9. Pour the remaining 1 ¼ cups cream in a large glass bowl. Add icing sugar and vanilla and beat till soft peaks are formed. This can be done with a large balloon whisk by hand, using an electric beater or using the whisk attachment of a stand mixer.
- 10. Add cream cheese and gelatin to the cream mixture and whisk to combine well. Make sure you beat well until smooth & thick with no lumps.
- 11. Pour the cream cheese mixture on the cooled biscuit base. Smoothen the top with a spatula or a knife.
- 12. Keep in fridge for 3-4 hours till set.
- 13. Slice and serve.
- 14. Sprinkle with remaining biscuit crumbs on top.
Notes:The biggest enemy of whipped cream is heat. Try whipping cream in a hot kitchen and it just won’t work. So the first thing you need to do is make sure all the gas stoves are closed and move to the coolest part of the kitchen possible. After that, chill your utensils. Use a metal mixing bowl and a metal whisk – keep both in the freezer for 10-15 minutes till they are chilled. In case you feel that the cream is getting warm, just put the metal bowl in the freezer for 2-3 minutes and it will be easier to whip.