Too many ripe banana’ s at home , this quick banana bread is just the thing to make.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 60 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 285g/10oz Plain flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda or bicarbonate of soda:
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt:
- 4 oz Butter:
- 8 oz Castor sugar:
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 3 oz Buttermilk (or 1 cup milk mixed with 1½ tsp lemon juice or vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- 2. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl.
- 3. In a separate bowl, mix the butter and sugar together with the help of hand or electric until light and fluff.
- 4. Now add flour, baking soda, salt in the butter and sugar mixture.
- 5. Mash the bananas and put them in the batter.
- 6. Grease a loaf tin and pour the cake mixture, sprinkle whatever nuts you would like to eat(walnuts, hazel nuts , almonds etc), i had hazel nuts at home so used them.
- 7. Transfer to the oven and bake for about an hour, or until well-risen and golden-brown.
- 8. Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
- 9. Serve it with tea or coffee.
Notes:Buttermilk is made by adding an acidic ingredient (either lemon juice or vinegar) to milk and waiting 10-15 minutes till the milk curdles. To make 1 cup buttermilk just add 1.5 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice to milk and leave for 5-10 minutes.