This classic bread pudding is simple to make and will be ready to cook in about two hours.
- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 80 - 100 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 4 cups milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 6 eggs
- 10-12 slices of bread.
- 1. Heat milk in a pan and add sugar, stir until dissolved.
- 2. Add the vanilla essence to the milk and let it cool down.
- 3. In a bowl whisk the eggs together and add in the milk when it's just a little warm and NOT hot.
- 4. Cut the bread slices in cubes or triangles and put in a baking dish or oven proof Pyrex. Pour the egg and milk mixture on top. Don't fill more than 3/4th of the dish as the contents may spill out during the baking process.
- 5. Take a pan larger in size than the dish you are using to make pudding. Put your pudding mould or Pyrex dish in it and fill water till it covers half the sides of your pudding mould.
- 6. Bake in a preheated oven between 300-350 F for 80-100 minutes. Switch on the grill for the last 3-5 minutes just to give colour to the top.
- 7. If the water in the 2nd dish finishes at some point, refill it with hot or warm water.