Aloo Matar is a simple vegetarian dish comprising of chopped potatoes & peas in a delicious tomato based gravy.
- PREP TIME: 10 mins
- COOK TIME: 20 mins
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 1 tablespoon oil for cooking
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek powder (methi)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 potatoes, peeled and chopped into 3cm cubes
- 200g peas
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- Handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 1. Heat oil on a low-medium flame.
- 2. Add garlic and sauté for a minute till garlic is light golden.
- 3. Add onions and sauté for about ten minutes till onions are translucent and light golden from edges.
- 4. Add tomatoes, ginger, salt, turmeric, fenugreek and chilli.
- 5. Cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally until tomatoes are tender. Mash them with the spoon so it creates a thick chunky sauce.
- 6. Add potatoes along with ½ cup of water and stir for a minute or so. Put lid on pan, reduce heat to simmer and then cook for 10 minutes.
- 7. Add the peas at this stage and then cook for 5-10 minutes till both potatoes & peas are tender. If you want, you can add more water at this stage.
- 8. Sprinkle with garam masala and fresh coriander and serve with roti or rice.
Notes:Photo Credits: Foodviva.