Dal makhani is a popular vegetarian dish originating from the Punjab region of India and Pakistan. It is made from whole black lentils (popularly know...
- PREP TIME: 15 mins
- COOK TIME: 75 mins
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- ½ cup dry whole black lentils (kaali daal)
- 1/8th cup dry red kidney beans (rajma)
- 1-2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium sized onions, finely chopped
- 3cm piece ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 tomatoes, puréed
- 2 green chillies, slit in ½
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (haldi) powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaf (kasoori methi)
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 tablespoon butter
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1. Soak the black lentils (kaali daal) and kidney beans (rajma) separately, overnight. Drain and keep aside.
- 2. Combine the lentils and red kidney beans in a big pot with 4 cups of water with salt and bring to boil.
- 3. Cook for 45 minutes – 1 hour till lentils are tender.
- 4. Heat oil till medium in a separate pot and add cumin seeds.
- 5. Saute for about 30 seconds till the seeds splutter, and then add onions and garlic.
- 6. Fry the onion until golden.
- 7. Stir in the tomato purée.
- 8. Add the turmeric, chilli powder, ginger, green chillies and crushed coriander.
- 9. Cook for a few minutes till tomatoes are tender and mash with a spoon.
- 10. Add the cooked lentils and red kidney beans along with a cup of water.
- 11. Leave to simmer for about 10-15 minutes.
- 12. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- 13. Add butter, garam masala and dried fenugreek (kasuri methi) about 5-10 minutes before serving.
- 14. Garnish with a sprinkle of fresh coriander and serve hot.
Notes:Photo credits: whitbitskitchen.com If you are in a rush a pressure cooker can also be used which will take about 20 – 25 minutes. Just make sure that you read the instructions of your pressure cooker and not remove the lid till pressure has been released.