Chicken on Skewers
This spicy grilled chicken is great served over rice.
- PREP TIME: 70 mins
- COOK TIME: 25 mins
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 4 chicken breast fillets
- 2 capsicum, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 fresh chilli, finely chopped (2 for more heat)
- 1 teaspoon of garam masala, heaped
- 1 teaspoon of dried fenugreek (kasoori methi)
- ½ teaspoon of coriander seeds (sabit dhaniya), crushed
- 250g hung yoghurt (500 grams yoghurt hung in a muslin cloth for an hour till water drains and thick yogurt is left)
- Skewers - metal or wooden
- Vegetable oil (for brushing)
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Lemon wedges, for garnish
- 1. Wash and dry the chicken thoroughly then cut into large pieces.
- 2. Mix salt, garlic, ginger, chili powder, chili, garam masala, fenugreek & coriander seeds in a dish. Add the hung curd and stir well.
- 3. Place the chicken and chopped vegetables in the bowl with the marinade and mix well. Make sure the marinade is evenly distributed and keep in fridge for at least an hour.
- 4. If using wooden skewers soak them in cold water for about 20 minutes.
- 5. Heat the oven to 200oC and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- 6. Skewer the meat and vegetables. First put a piece of chicken then capsicum followed by onions. Repeat till the skewer is full and then proceed with the next skewer.
- 7. Brush the skewers with oil and place on the baking sheet in the oven. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
- 8. Turn the skewers over and brush with oil again.
- 9. Keep in the oven for another 15-20 minutes till cooked through.
- 10. Serve hot with fresh coriander leaves and lemon wedges on the side.
Notes:Photo credits: 123rf