Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken Pot Pie is a British comfort food classic – the filling consists of chicken with vegetables in a rich & creamy white sauce topped with golde...
- PREP TIME: 90 minutes
- COOK TIME: 60 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- Pie crust:
- 200gm flour
- Pinch of salt
- 100gm butter, chilled and cubed
- 1 egg
- 3 teaspoon cold water
- 3 chicken breasts, cubed and boiled
- 2 carrots, sliced
- ½ cup peas, boiled
- 2 sticks celery, sliced
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup milk
- For topping :
- ½ kg puff pastry
- 1. For the pie crust, rub in cold butter in flour and salt till it resembles breadcrumbs.
- 2. Add egg, water and knead to make a dough. Make sure you add water one tablespoon at a time so it doesn’t get too sticky.
- 3. Once the dough comes together, make a flat disc and wrap in clingwrap. Keep in fridge for 30 minutes.
- 4. In the meanwhile start making the filling.
- 5. Heat butter and cook onions till soft.
- 6. Add flour and sauté for 30 – 45 seconds till a paste is formed.
- 7. Slowly stir in milk and chicken stock using a whisk to make sure there are no lumps. Add salt & pepper.
- 8. Once the mixture is thick, add chicken, peas, carrot and potatoes.
- 9. Heat through, remove and set aside.
- 10. Line the pie plate with the shortcrust dough, line with paper and baking beans and bake blind for 10 minutes on 180 degrees C
- 11. Remove paper and beans and bake further 5minutes.
- 12. Cool on a wire rack and put chicken and vegetable mixture in it, top carefully with the puff pastry dough and seal edges, trim excess dough.
- 13. Make several slits on the top pie layer to allow steam to escape.
- 14. Bake at 180 degrees C for 30 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly.
Notes:Photo credits: culinaryenvy