Black Forest Cake
This whipped cream cake with lots of candied cherries is a Pakistani bakery classic.
- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 4 eggs
- 4 oz caster sugar
- 3 oz flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 oz cocoa, sifted
- Filling :
- 420gm tin of black cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 600ml cream
- 2 oz flaked almonds, toasted
- Plain chocolate curls or grated chocolate to decorate
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 180 C.
- 2. Grease and line a 9” springform tin and set aside.
- 3. Mix flour, baking powder and cocoa together with a fork.
- 4. Beat eggs.
- 5. Add sugar.
- 6. Fold dry ingredients into the beaten egg and sugar mixture.
- 7. Pour mixture in a 9” springform tin and bake at 180 degrees C for 30 minutes or till done.
- 8. Turn out of the pan and let cool on a wire rack.
- 9. Drain the cherries, reservin some of the liquid.
- 10. Put cherry juice and cornflour in a pan and let cook till thickened. Remove from heat and cool.
- 11. Add essence and cherries to the sauce. Reserve a few cherries for the top.
- 12. Whip the cream till stiff and chill.
- 13. Cut the sponge into layers and sandwich with the whipped cream and cherry mixture.
- 14. Top the cake with cream and decorate with flaked almonds, grated chocolate and piped cream.
- 15. Top with the reserved cherries.
Notes:Photo Credits: butterandbrioche