Sesame Prawn Toast
This popular Chinese starter consists of a mixture of prawns spread on toast, topped with sesame seeds.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 10 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 300 g raw prawns, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1/4 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 slices bread, toasted
- 5 tablespoon white sesame seeds (til)
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 1. Mix the prawns with the ginger, spring onion, egg white, cornflour, sesame oil, soy sauce and salt. Leave to marinate for 5 minutes.
- 2. Take out sesame seeds in a shallow plate.
- 3. Spread one side of each slice of bread with the prawn mixture. Cut into triangles.
- 4. Dip the filling side into sesame seeds.
- 5. Deep fry the toast in hot oil, over a moderate heat, filling side up until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes. Drain on absorbent paper and serve immediately.