Aptly named, khattay aloo uses tamarind pulp for that distinctive tangy taste.
- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 40 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 1 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 kg potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 green chillies, sliced
- 2 tablespoon dessicated coconut
- 1. Soak tamarind in hot water for 15 minutes. Squeeze and take out pulp.
- 2. Strain and add brown sugar in it. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and add in mustard seeds till they pop.
- 3. Add turmeric, red chilli powder, ground coriander and ground cumin.
- 4. Add potatoes and sauté.
- 5. Add salt and water and let cook till potatoes are done.
- 6. Add in tamarind juice, sliced chillies, coconut and stir, cover and simmer.