Gajar Ka Halwa
Gaajar ka Halwa is a traditional Pakistani dessert made in the winters when beautiful red carrots are in season.
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 1 Kg red peeled and shredded carrots
- 250 grams sugar
- 250 grams khoya
- 2 tablespoons + 1 tablespoon oil/ghee
- 3-4 pieces green cardamom
- 50 grams pistachio thinly sliced for garnishing
- 50 grams almonds thinly sliced for garnishing
- Cream (optional)
- 1. Put 2 tablespoons of oil/ghee in a pan and heat it.
- 2. Put 3-4 cardamoms in the heated oil.
- 3. After heating the cardamom in the oil, put shredded carrots in at a high flame.
- 4. Two-three minutes after, put in the sugar and stir it to prevent it from burning at the bottom.
- 5. Close the lid and adjust the flame to a medium-low.
- 6. Let it cook for 5 minutes.
- 7. Take off the lid and increase the flame.
- 8. Add Khoya and stir it occasionally until all the water dries out.
- 9. When the oil starts to seep out from the sides, your dish is ready.
- 10. Dish out the Halwa in a bowl, and in the pan put in 1 tablespoon of oil/ghee.
- 11. Heat up the oil at a medium flame and then put in the sliced Pistachios and Almonds.
- 12. As the Pistachios and Almonds start to slightly darken and the aroma comes out, they are roasted and can be used to decorate the Halwa.
Notes:Photo credits: Hania Baweja Never leave the shredded carrots in exposed air; they will turn black. To enhance the flavor of Gajar ka Halwa, serve it with cream.