Punjabi Style Karela
Though it takes time to prepare, this karela recipe is bound to turn people who dislike karela into enjoying it.
- PREP TIME: 45 minutes
- COOK TIME: 60 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- 1 kg bitter gourd (kerala)
- 1 cup oil
- ½ kg onions
- 6 green chilies
- 2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 250 grams tomatoes
- 4 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- ½ bunch coriander
- 1. Cut the bitter gourd into round slices and remove the seeds.
- 2. Heat oil on a low flame. Fry the bittergourd (kerala) till crisp and golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on a kitchen towel.
- 3. In the same oil, deep fry the onions till crisp and golden brown. Remove with a slotted slot and drain on a kitchen towel.
- 4. Heat the remaining oil, and fry green chili’s, red chili powder, nigella seeds (kalonji), cumin, salt, turmeric and garam masala.
- 5. Once the spices start sizzling, add the chopped tomatoes. Cook till tomatoes are soft and oil comes on top.
- 6. Add the fried bitter gourd & onions. Mix well.
- 7. Add tamarind pulp. Cover pot and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8. Remove from heat once cooked through.
- 9. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve.