This simple continental breakfast has become a favorite in our part of the world. Use the basic recipe to give your own twist to this American classic...
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 25 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 2 cups flour (maida)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ to 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted and cooled butter
- Oil or butter, for cooking
- Butter - for serving
- Fruits (strawberries or banana's) - for serving
- Honey, maple syrup or pancake syrup - for serving
- 1. In a bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, salt and sugar) with a whisk.
- 2. In a separate bowl, pour 1 ½ cups milk. Add eggs, melted butter and vanilla essence. Beat to make sure that the eggs are mixed together.
- 3. Carefully mix the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Whisk to create a smooth batter. If the batter feels thick add a little more milk.
- 4. Heat a frying pan on low-medium heat.
- 5. Add butter or oil on pan and wait for it to heat.
- 6. Use a soup ladle (a daal spoon) or a 1/4th cup measuring pan to pour batter on the heated pan.
- 7. The pancakes will need to be flipped after the bubbles start popping on the surface and the bottoms are browned (this will take about 2-3 minutes).
- 8. Flip the pancakes and then cook for about 30 seconds – 45 seconds till both sides are cooked through.
- 9. Serve warm with preferred condiments.
- 10. The traditional condiments are butter, honey or maple syrup.
- 11. However, you can give it a twist by adding whipped cream, caramel syrup, chocolate syrup or chocolate chips. Alternatively serve with seasonal fruits like strawberries, banana's or berries.
- 12. For an added twist throw some chocolate chips or coconut or blueberries in the batter
Notes:For an added twist throw some chocolate chips or coconut or blueberries in the batter