Fettuccine Alfredo is an Italian pasta dish made from fettuccine tossed with a creamy cheese sauce of butter, parmesan and cream.
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 1 packet fettuccine, boiled
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2oz butter
- 4oz button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 12oz cream
- 3oz parmesan cheese grated
- salt & freshly crushed black pepper
- basil or parsley, finely chopped
- 1. Boil fettuccine as per packet instructions.
- 2. Heat 3 tablespoon olive oil in a heavy based frying pan.
- 3. Add chicken strips and season with salt & freshly crushed black pepper.
- 4. Sauté gently over a medium heat turning frequently until the chicken is cooked through. Set aside.
- 5. In the meanwhile make the creamy Alfredo sauce.
- 6. Heat 2 tablespoon olive oil and butter in a saucepan.
- 7. Once the butter has melted, add the garlic and fry for about a minute until just softened.
- 8. Now add the mushrooms, chicken stock cube dissolved in 1 cup water.
- 9. Bring to a boil. Simmer gently over a medium heat until the liquid is reduced.
- 10. In a separate saucepan, add the cream and parmesan cheese and place over a gentle heat.
- 11. Stir frequently. Allow it to heat through, but do not boil.
- 12. Finally combine the chicken with the cream sauce, mushrooms and just enough of the reduced stock. Season to taste with salt & freshly crushed black pepper.
- 13. Serve with freshly cooked fettuccine and sprinkled with the chopped parsley or basil.
Notes:Photo credits: cookingclassy.com