Mutton Yakhni Pulao
Traditional Pakistani Pulao is made with a bouqet garni (or potli in local language).
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 60 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- 8 cups of water
- 750 gram Mutton
- 2 Onion medium, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Ginger, finely chopped
- 20 Black Pepper
- 10 Cloves (long)
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks (daal cheeni)
- 2 Black Cardamoms (elaichi)
- 4 Green Cardamoms (elaichi)
- 1 Garlic Whole Pod
- 1 ½ teaspoon Salt
- 3 tablespoon Fennel Seeds (sonf)
- 4 tablespoon Coriander Seeds (Sabit Dhaniya)
- ¾cup Oil
- 750 gram Rice, soaks for 30 minutes
- 3 Potatoes, cubed
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Brown onion
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon Green Chili, ground
- 1 teaspoon garam masala, Powder
- 1. Heat water in a large pot. Add mutton along with onions, ginger, black pepper, cloves, cinnamon sticks, cardamom, garlic pod and salt. Make a Bouquet garni (potli) by tying fennel seeds, coriander seeds in a muslin cloth.
- 2. Add in mutton stock mixture and cook till mutton is nearly done and the stock is reduced by half (~4 cups left)
- 3. Heat oil in another pan.
- 4. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for 30 seconds.
- 5. Add chili powder, salt, garam masala along with brown onion and beaten yoghurt. Saute and fry for 2-3 minutes.
- 6. Add potatoes and the boiled mutton. Cover and cook for 10 min.
- 7. Add soaked rice along with the mutton stock (yakhni) and cook on medium flame for 10 minutes.
- 8. Turn heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- 9. Serve hot.