Yakhni Pulao by my Mother
Pulao is a delicious traditional rice dish made in a beautifully seasoned broth. I have fond memories of the dinners hosted by our family which were c...
- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 60 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- For the broth:
- 1 kilogram meat (chicken/mutton/beef)
- 1 whole onion
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 inch piece ginger
- 2 heaped tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 2 heaped tablespoon Fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoon mix whole spices (sabit garam masala)
- Salt - to taste
- For rice:
- 4 cups Rice (long grain basmati rice)
- 1 cup Oil
- 2 large Onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoon Ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon Garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 Black cardamom
- 4 to 5 Green cardamom
- 6 to 8 Cloves
- ½ tablespoon whole black pepper
- 2 inch Cinnamon stick 2 inch
- 1 tablespoon ground garam masala
- Black cumin seeds
- 1. For the broth, put all the ingredients in a pot with enough water and cook until meat is 80% done and 4 to 5 cups of water is left. The quantity of water will vary depending on the type of meat i.e less for chicken but more for mutton and beef. Set aside.
- 2. In another pot, heat the oil and put all the whole spices except black cumin seeds. Let them crackle for 2-3 minutes.
- 3. Add onions and fry until light brown.
- 4. Add ginger and garlic paste and cook for another 2-3 minutes and add the meat from the broth and fry for a few minutes.
- 5. Stain the broth to separate the spices. Measure the broth and add to meat. Add ground garam masala. Add more water if needed so as to make it 6 cups in total.
- 6. When it comes to a boil, add soaked rice and cook uncovered till the water is absorbed by the rice.
- 7. Sprinkle the black cumin seeds and cook covered for another 10 minutes. Serve.
Notes:The pulao tastes best with mutton especially the leg of goat or lamb. Use generous quantity of whole spices to make the broth. The colour of pulao will mainly depend on the onions when fried. If you prefer darker colour, fry the onions till dark brown. The quantity of water required to cook the rice depends on the variety of rice used, adjust the quantity accordingly.