Spaghetti Sauce with Meatballs
Spaghetti with Meatballs is an Italian classic. Meatballs are simmered in a rich tomato based sauce and tossed with spaghetti.
- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 2 hours
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- For Meatballs:
- ½ kg ground beef / beef qeema (preferably lean veal meat)
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- For Sauce
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 bay leaf / tez patta
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 400 grams boiled spaghetti
- 1. In a large bowl, combine ground beef, bread crumbs, parsley, parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder and beaten egg. Mix well and form into meatballs. Will make about 12 – 15 meatballs. Store, covered, in refrigerator until needed.
- 2. In a large pan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent.
- 3. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes.
- 4. Stir in tomato paste, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and meatballs and simmer 30 minutes more.
- 5. Serve with spaghetti.