Tava Pullav is a favorite recipe of the author’s mother. It’s a rice dish that perfectly balances spicy, tangy, sweet & sour flavors.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- A large bowl of boiled rice
- 2 large chopped onions
- 2 large chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 4-5 curry leaves
- 4-5 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- a small ginger stem cut in juliennes
- 1 small carrot thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup boiled peas
- 1 large boiled potato
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon pav bhaji masala
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- juice of half a lime
- 1. Peel the boiled potato and cut it in cubes. Now just shallow fry the potato to make them slightly crisp.
- 2. Heat up a cast iron flat top pan (tava) on medium flame. When the pan is hot throw in the mustard seeds.
- 3. Once the mustard seeds start spluttering add the curry leaves, ginger and garlic. Saute for 2 minutes.
- 4. After 2 minutes add in the finely chopped green chillies and onions. Sauté till the onions turn translucent.
- 5. Once the onions are translucent add in the sliced carrot. Let the carrots cook till they soften.
- 6. Once the carrots start softening add in the boiled peas and finely chopped tomatoes.
- 7. Saute till the tomatoes loose most of their water.
- 8. Once the tomatoes are cooked mix in the dry spices- salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, coriander powder and paav bhaji masala. Also add in 2 tablespoon water as the water makes it easier for us to mix all the spices with the vegetables.
- 9. Saute for 2 minutes on low flame.
- 10. After 2 minutes add in the shallow fried potatoes and the boiled rice.
- 11. Using 2 forks gently mix all the spiced vegetables with the rice till they are combined.
- 12. Squeeze in juice of half a lime
- 13. Top it up with some cilantro and give the rice a final mix.
- 14. Serve hot. This rice preparation tastes fabulous with plain yogurt or Raita.