Shahi Tukray is a famous Pakistani dessert made with soaking fried bread slices in sweetened milk with a hint of cardamom.
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 1 litre milk
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed cardamom seeds (elaichi)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cream (200 ml - 1 packet)
- 1-2 strands of saffron (optional)
- Pinch of yellow food color (not required if using saffron)
- 3 tablespoon almonds, crushed
- 2 tablespoon pistachios, crushed
- 15 - 18 slices of bread (large loaf), preferably 1-2 days old
- Oil, for deep frying
- 1. Boil milk with crushed cardamom seeds. Bring to boil and put on simmer for 30 - 40 minutes. The longer the milk is cooked, it will start reducing and getting a little hint of caramel. However, keep a look on the milk and keep stirring constantly so it doesn't burn.
- 2. Add sugar with cream and let it simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Keep stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- 3. If using saffron then dissolve it milk and then add it in the milk mixture. Let simmer for 2-3 minutes. Add a pinch of yellow food color if not using saffron.
- 4. Crush almonds and pistachios and set aside. Add half of the nuts mixture in the milk and set aside the rest for layering and garnish. Turn off heat and set aside milk.
- 5. Cut the bread crusts and then cut them into squares or triangles based on the dish / style you prefer.
- 6. Heat oil and deep fry the bread pieces. Use a slotted spoon to remove bread and drain on kitchen towels.
- 7. Take a glass dish and start layering with fried bread, milk & nuts.
- 8. First put a layer of bread, then add milk to soak. Sprinkle some nuts and then start layering with bread, milk and topping with nuts.
- 9. Sprinkle nuts for every layer and then on the top as per your preference.
Notes:It is best to use day old bread for making shahi tukray's as it absorbs less oil versus fresh bread. To make the milk absorb better, you can switch the layers from top to bottom and add more milk.