Sheer Khurma is a traditional milk & vermicelli dessert made on Eid-ul-Fitr or Meethi Eid.
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 1 liter milk
- 3 green cardamoms (elaichi)
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- ½ cup vermicelli (sawayan)
- 4 - 5 sliced dates (chowaray), sliced
- 3 tablespoon pistachio sliced
- 3 tablespoon almonds sliced
- ½ teaspoon saffron (zafran), optional
- ½ cup sugar heaped
- 2 tablespoon khoya
- 1. Heat milk.
- 2. Bring to boil and then turn heat to simmer. Simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring every few minutes till milk is reduced by about quarter.
- 3. In the meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of ghee in a small frying pan.
- 4. Add green cardamom with crushed vermicelli and saute for 2-3 minutes till light golden.
- 5. Add vermicelli along with cardamom and sliced dates to milk.
- 6. Cook for 15 - 20 minutes during which the flavor will infuse and dates will turn soft.
- 7. When dates are soft, add sugar, khoya, almonds and pistachios.
- 8. Add saffron dissolved in milk for added flavor.
- 9. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- 10. Sheer khurma is ready to serve.
Notes:For added richness, fry the dry fruit in ghee / oil and then add to sheer khurma.