Serve this spicy yoghurt based aloo with rice or roti.
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- 2 sticks cinnamon (daal chini)
- 4 green cardamoms (elaichi)
- 5 cloves (laung)
- 500 grams small potatoes
- ½ tablespoon gram flour (besan)
- 1-1/2 cup yogurt
- 1-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder (Saunth)
- ¾ teaspoon fennel seed powder (Saunf)
- toothpick as required
- Oil for frying
- 1. Grind together the cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon sticks in a spice grinder or mortar pestle. Set aside.
- 2. Whisk yoghurt and add salt, gram flour and 1 cup of water.
- 3. Boil potatoes till half done. Peel them while still warm.
- 4. Heat oil in a pan. Fry potatoes on medium heat golden brown in color. Set aside.
- 5. Heat 4 tablespoon of the oil (use same oil that was used for frying potatoes). Add red chilies and fry for a minute.
- 6. Add the yoghurt and whisk constantly
- 7. Add potatoes to yoghurt mixture and add ginger powder, fennel powder and ground masala that had been kept aside in the first step. Cook over medium heat for 5-10 minutes or until the curry thicken and potatoes are tender.
- 8. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Notes:Photo credits: ticklingpalates.com