General Tso Chicken
This popular Chinese dish is made by frying chicken cubes till golden and then tossed together in a smoky dark sauce. Serve with rice on the side.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cubed
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cornflour, plus 2 tablespoon.
- 1 cup flour
- vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoon honey
- 4 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cup broccoli, florets only
- 2 cup carrots, thinly sliced
- Sesame seeds, for garnish
- 2 cup cooked white rice, for serving
- 1. Put chicken in a large bowl. Season with salt & pepper.
- 2. Coat chicken with cornflour and shake off the excess.
- 3. Coat the chicken with flour next and set it aside.
- 4. Heat oil in a wok / skillet and deep fry the chicken pieces till golden brown.
- 5. In another frying pan add 1 tablespoon oil.
- 6. Add garlic and chili flakes. Cook till the aroma is released.
- 7. Add chicken stock and cook for a minute or two.
- 8. Add sauces (hoisin sauce, honey & soy sauce) along with lemon juice.
- 9. Dissolve 2 tablespoons cornflour in water and add to the sauce. Let it simmer on low heat till thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 10. Add broccoli and carrots and cook for about 5 minutes till tender. Add chicken and stir through the sauce till warmed through.
- 11. Garnish with sesame seeds and serve with steamed rice.