Spicy Chicken ka Salan
The regular chicken ka salan that we have for dinner at least once a week.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 2 – 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 - 4 cardamom pods (elaichi)
- 5 – 6 black peppercorns (kali mirch)
- 500 grams chicken
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger piece, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
- 4 tablespoons coriander leaves (dhaniya)
- 1. Heat oil in a medium sized pot.
- 2. Add cardamom (elaichi) and black peppercorns (kali mirch) and saute till you can smell the aroma.
- 3. Add chopped onions and cook till light brown. Make sure they don’t burn.
- 4. Add chopped ginger and garlic and cook for about a minute till light brown.
- 5. Add tomatoes and spices (red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt). Saute for a minute to cook the spices then turn heat to low to soften the tomatoes.
- 6. Once the tomatoes are soft, add the chicken pieces. Cook chicken on medium – high heat till color changes from pink to white.
- 7. Add 1 cup water, turn heat to low and cook for about 30 – 35 minutes till chicken is tender.
- 8. Serve with roti or rice.