Red Velvet Cupcakes
Your favorite cake in cupcake form!
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- For the Cupcakes:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2½ tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons red food coloring
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- ½ cup buttermilk (2 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar added to 1 cup milk – let it sit till milk curdles)
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons vinegar
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 - 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1. For the Cupcakes:
- 2. Preheat oven to 180 C. Line a standard muffin/cupcake pan with liners.
- 3. Put the butter & sugar in a bowl. Make sure butter is at room temperature otherwise it will be difficult to beat. Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar until & fluffy. Add an egg and beat until well incorporated.
- 4. Add cocoa powder, vanilla essence and red food coloring. Stir with a whisk first then mix with an electric beater till smooth. The batter will be bright red in color.
- 5. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly add half of the buttermilk. Add half of the flour and mix until combined. Scrape the bowl and repeat the process with the remaining milk and flour. Beat on high until smooth.
- 6. Again, reduce the mixer speed to low and add the salt, baking soda and vinegar. Turn to high and beat for another couple of minutes until completely combined and smooth.
- 7. Divide the batter evenly between the cupcake liners and bake for about 20 minutes, or until a thin knife or skewer inserted into the center of the largest cupcake comes out clean.
- 8. Cool for 10 minutes and then remove cupcakes from the pan and place them on a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- 9. For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 10. Put the butter and cream cheese in a medium sized bowl. Make sure both are soft. Use an electric mixer to beat together till creamy. Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time until completely incorporated. Add the vanilla and mix to combine. Increase the speed to medium high and whip for a few minutes until the frosting is light and fluffy, scraping the bowl as necessary.
- 11. Frost the cupcakes. If the frosting is too soft keep in the fridge for about 20 – 30 minutes to stiffen up.
Notes:Photo Credits: Shutterstock.com