A delicious vegetarian dish with paneer / cottage cheese & peas in a tomato based gravy.
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 3 persons
- 1 cup green peas, boiled
- 200 grams paneer / cottage cheese, cubed
- For paste:
- 2 teaspoons + 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds -
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ inch piece ginger, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 small green chilies -, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- Salt - to taste
- 1 cup water
- 1/4th cup fresh coriander (dhaniya)
- 1. Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a pan on medium heat.
- 2. Once hot add cumin seeds and let them sizzle. Saute ginger, garlic and green chili for a minute.
- 3. Add onion and cook till they become soft and translucent.
- 4. Add tomatoes and cook till they become soft. Mash with a wooden spoon a few times.
- 5. Let the mixture cool for about 10 – 15 minutes and then grind smooth into a blender. The cooling is necessary to make sure the hot mixture doesn’t splutter.
- 6. In the same pan heat another tablespoon of oil.
- 7. Add the blended onion – tomato paste and saute till the moisture evaporates.
- 8. Add spices (turmeric, coriander, red chili powder and garam masala)
- 9. Mix well and saute for a minute.
- 10. Add water – can be ½ cup or 1 cup depending on your gravy preference. Let it come to a boil and then add paneer & peas.
- 11. Let the paneer & peas cook in the mixture for about 3-4 minutes.
- 12. Turn off heat, sprinkle fresh coriander on top and serve hot.