This simple vanilla pudding can be eaten on its own or used as a base for a variety of desserts.
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes (plus chilling time)
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1. Take a medium saucepan and add sugar, cornflour and salt. Whisk to combine.
- 2. Add ¼ cup milk and whisk till smooth.
- 3. Add egg yolks (one by one) and the remaining milk. Whisk properly to make sure there are no lumps.
- 4. Turn the heat on and cook the milk, until the pudding starts to thicken and bubbles from the edges. Keep whisking so that it doesn’t split and the pudding remains smooth.
- 5. Once pudding thickens, remove from heat.
- 6. Add butter and vanilla essence. Stir through till butter is melted and incorporated in the pudding.
- 7. Take a large glass bowl and put a fine mesh strainer over it. Pour the pudding through the strainer – this will make the pudding silky smooth.
- 8. Put plastic wrap on the pudding to prevent a skin being formed.
- 9. Chill the pudding in the refrigerator until set, about 3-4 hours.
Notes:There can be many variations to this vanilla pudding. Add a bar of melted chocolate to make chocolate pudding. Add cinnamon or cardamom for a different exotic different. Top with crushed nuts or caramel sauce to make a more decadent dessert. Photo Credits: Shutterstock.com