Seviyan ka zarda
This quick Pakistani dessert is made using seviyan and cream.
- PREP TIME: 5 minutes
- COOK TIME: 20 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 3 – 4 cloves (laung)
- 3 – 4 green cardamom pods
- 200 grams vermicelli / seviyan
- 4 – 6 saffron strands (optional)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4th cup cream
- 1/4th cup almonds, finely chopped (plus more for garnishing)
- 1. Heat ghee in a pot / karhai.
- 2. Peel the green cardamom and crush the seeds.
- 3. Add cloves & ground cardamom seeds. Saute for about 30 seconds till the cardamom starts releasing its aroma.
- 4. Add vermicelli and toast for 2-3 minutes. Keep stirring so it doesn’t burn.
- 5. In the meanwhile, make sugar syrup by dissolving sugar & water. If you are using saffron then dissolve saffron in 1 tablespoon milk and add it to the sugar syrup to infuse.
- 6. Add the sugar syrup along with the milk to the vermicelli and cook for about 10 – 15 minutes on low heat. Keep uncovered so the vermicelli can dry.
- 7. Add cream and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- 8. Turn the heat off and garnish with finely sliced almonds.
- 9. Serve hot.
Notes:Photo Credits: Shutterstock.com