Nan Khatai Biscuits
The traditional Pakistani biscuit. Though you can eat it during the day, it's best served with chai.
- PREP TIME: 5 minutes
- COOK TIME: 25 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup sugar, finely ground
- Pinch of nutmeg (jaifal)
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 cup flour / maida
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 150 degrees C.
- 2. Line a cookie sheet with wax / parchment paper.
- 3. Take a large mixing bowl and add butter along with sugar. Whisk together till light & creamy. Add nutmeg and cardamom (elaichi powder). Mix.
- 4. Sift flour (maida) with baking powder and salt. Whisk with a fork.
- 5. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and stir through to form a soft dough.
- 6. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let it rest for 20 minutes.
- 7. Knead dough another time to make the dough elastic and divide it into 15 – 20 equal portions.
- 8. Roll each portion into a small ball and place on the prepared cookie sheet.
- 9. Make sure there’s space between the dough balls.
- 10. Bake in the oven for around 20 – 25 minutes.
- 11. Remove from oven and let the nan khatai cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely before eating.
- 12. Store in an air tight container at room temperature.