We love having halwa puri for breakfast especially on Sundays with the entire family. Here's a recipe for halwa, pur and aloo ki tarkari.
- PREP TIME: 45 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- Suji ka Halwa
- Semolina (Suji) 1 cup
- Sugar 2 cups
- Green Cardamom 3-4
- Water:4 cups
- Ghee 1/2 cup
- Food Color a pinch of yellow color(optional)
- Almonds 7-8
- Aloo ki Tarkari
- ¼ kg / 250 grams / 1 pao potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric / haldi
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon coriander powder / dhaniya powder
- ¼ teaspoon kalonji / onion seeds
- 1- ¼ cup water
- 3-4 gol mirch / whole red chilies
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 2 tablespoons oil (for kneading)
- Oil, for frying
- Warm water (for kneading – as per requirement)
- 1. Suji ka Halwa
- 2. Put Semolina in a pan and stir it on a medium heat until you can smell the toasted suji. Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes as suji gets burnt quickly.
- 3. Put butter/ghee in the pan, mix well on the low heat.
- 4. Prepare sugar syrup on the side, put water in the pan when it comes to boil, put cardamom,sugar and food color, dissolve sugar fully, remove it from the stove.
- 5. Put sugar syrup in semolina(be careful, don't burn yourself while doing that because syrup goes crazy when it is combined with semolina)
- 6. Cook till you get the desired consistency.
- 7. Sprinkle crushed almonds on top of halwa.
- 8. Aloo ki Tarkari
- 9. Cut potatoes in cubes. Boil them in salted water and set aside.
- 10. Heat oil in a pot.
- 11. Add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder (dhaniya powder) and onion seeds (kalonji) and fry for a minute till the flavor is released.
- 12. Add 1 ½ cups of water and cook till it gets to a boil.
- 13. Add boiled potatoes and stir together. Use a wooden spoon to mash the potatoes and stir through – this will release the starch in the potatoes and make the salaan thick & delicious.
- 14. Heat oil in a small pan / tarka pan. Add gol mirch and saute for 30 seconds till aroma is released. Add the tempered gol mirch on the potatoes and serve hot.
- 15. Puri
- 16. Take a large mixing bowl.
- 17. Add plain flour, salt, yoghurt & oil. Stir through.
- 18. Add warm water and start kneading the dough. The dough should be soft and smooth.
- 19. Brush a little oil on the dough, cover and set it aside to rest for at least 30 – 45 minutes.
- 20. Once the dough is rested, make little balls of the puri dough. Use oil as necessary to help in forming the balls. Use a rolling pin / bailan to roll out the puri.
- 21. Heat oil in a karhai / wok / frying pan to fry the pori.
- 22. Carefully place the puri in the medium-high heat. Turn the puri over once it expands and turns golden brown. Fry the puri till cooked on both sides and take out using a slotted spoon. Keep on kitchen towel to let the oil drain.
- 23. Serve with aloo ki tarkari & suji halwa.