Gulab Jamun is the traditional Pakistani dessert! This time try making them at home for added flavor.
- PREP TIME: 30 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- 2 cups water
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 3-4 green cardamoms (hari elaichi)
- 1 cup milk powder
- ¼ cup flour / maida
- 1 teaspoon oil or ½ teaspoon ghee
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1-2 tablespoon yoghurt
- Oil, for frying
- 1. Peel and crush cardamom to release the aroma.
- 2. Take a medium saucepan and add water, sugar & cardamom.
- 3. Heat till the sugar is melted and a syrup is formed. Set aside.
- 4. In the meanwhile, make the gulab jamuns.
- 5. Take a medium bowl and add milk powder, flour / maida and baking soda. Stir with a whisk to mix together.
- 6. Add ghee and half the yoghurt. Start mixing together until a soft dough is formed. If the dough is too crumbly add more yoghurt.
- 7. Set aside for about 10 – 15 minutes. Start making small balls from the dough.
- 8. Heat oil in a frying pan / karhai / wok and keep flame on low.
- 9. Add the dough balls and fry till golden. Be careful when frying so that they don’t burn or break.
- 10. Remove with a slotted spoon and add in the reserved sugar syrup.
- 11. Let them soak in the sugar syrup for 1-2 hours. They will become plump and absorb the sugar syrup.
- 12. Serve hot or at room temperature with more sugar syrup (if preferred).