Classic caramel pudding made in a steamer.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes (plus overnight chilling)
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 500 ml / 2 cups milk
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1. Put 3 tablespoons of sugar in the dish in which you are making the caramel. Place it on the stove and heat on low flame till the caramel is melted. Take off heat and switch off the flame. Alternatively, you can caramelize the sugar in a saucepan and then pour it in the pudding mold. Swirl the sugar around to make sure the entire bottom is covered. Set aside.
- 2. Put eggs, sugar and vanilla essence in a blender. Blend for about 20 seconds.
- 3. Add milk and blend again till smooth. Alternatively, pour all the ingredients in a large bowl and use a beater to mix together till smooth.
- 4. Pour the eggs mixture into the prepared pan with caramel.
- 5. In the meanwhile, boil water in a steamer and place the custard in the steamer carefully. Close the lid and wait for the steamer to build steam. Once steam comes let it cook for about 15 - 20 minutes then turn off the heat. Let it cook for 5 minutes in the residual heat. The pudding will be done when the top is set but still have a jiggle.
- 6. Open the lid carefully – the steam can burn. Take out the custard and let it cool to room temperature. Put the custard in the fridge overnight to chill properly.
- 7. Take out custard 5-10 minutes before serving – this will let the caramel soften so it pours like a syrup. De-mold carefully on a plate and serve with the caramel syrup on top.