Oats are a great way to start your day. It's healthy, filling and tastes great. Play around with the toppings so you can get a new flavor everyday.
- PREP TIME: 5 minutes
- COOK TIME: 15 minutes
- SERVINGS: 2 persons
- Basic Porridge
- 1 cup oats (quick-cooking or rolled oats)
- 2 cups milk or water (alternatively use 1 cup milk and 1 cup water)
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Sugar, to taste
- 1 – 2 tablespoons honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon or cardamom
- Toasted nuts (almonds , walnuts or pistachios)
- Fruits (Banana, mangoes, peaches or berries)
- 1. Put a medium saucepan on heat. Add the oats and toast for a minute.
- 2. Add milk or water and bring to a boil. Quick-cooking oats will take about 5 minutes to cook whereas rolled oats will take longer. Read the package instructions for cooking time estimates.
- 3. Once the porridge comes to a boil cook on low heat and stir constantly so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom. Cook till the porridge is soft. Add salt & sugar as per taste. Add more milk / water if you prefer a creamier consistency.
- 4. To give variation to your porridge you can add cinnamon for flavor and honey for sweetness.
- 5. Serve the porridge hot or cold. Top with a drizzle of honey, caramel sauce or fresh fruits. Cinnamon, honey and banana go really well together. Apples, walnut and honey are a delicious combination also.
Notes:Use the basic porridge recipe as a base and then experiment with the toppings as per your personal preference. Spice it with some cardamom or cinnamon. Serve with seasonal fresh fruits and top with nuts for crunch.