Macaroni and Cheese
We love this cheesy mac & cheese!
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 8 ounces macaroni (one packet)
- 1/4 cup butter + 2 tablespoons
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chili flakes (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1. Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Drain.
- 2. Pre-heat oven to 180 C.
- 3. In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- 4. Once the butter melts, add flour and stir to create a roux. Cook for about 30 – 45 seconds to remove the raw flavor of the flour.
- 5. Add milk to the flour mixture and stir constantly to ensure there are no lumps.
- 6. Add cheeses and keep stirring till the cheese melts.
- 7. Add salt, black pepper, red chili flakes and stir through. Taste and adjust seasonings if required. In case sauce thickens, add a tablespoon of milk and heat gently till liquid again. Set aside.
- 8. Take a large oven-proof casserole dish. Grease it with oil or butter on the bottom.
- 9. Add macaroni and pour sauce over the macaroni. Toss to mix.
- 10. In a small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Add breadcrumbs and saute till light brown.
- 11. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Make sure it’s completely covered.
- 12. Bake at 180 C for 20 – 30 minutes till golden on the top. Serve hot.