Chicken & Mushroom Vol-au-Vents
This classic French appetizer not only looks pretty but tastes delicious. Chicken & mushroom filling encased in golden brown puff pastry! YUM.
- PREP TIME: 75 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 8 persons
- For Chicken:
- ½ kg boneless chicken
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- For White Sauce Filling:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ can mushrooms, chopped
- ½ + ½ + ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ + ½ + ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 – 1.5 cups milk
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary (can substitute with oregano, thyme or other herbs)
- For Vol-au-Vents
- 500 grams puff pastry (store-bought)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon fresh herbs (for garnish)
- 1. To make vol-au-vents
- 2. Roll out puff pastry. Use a 4.5 cm round cutter to cut out about 40 rounds. Set aside 20 rounds – these will be used as the bottom layer of the vol-au-vent.
- 3. Take a 2 cm cutter and and cut out the centres of the remaining 20 rounds. The centers can be rolled out again to make more cases or used in another method.
- 4. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- 5. Put the bottom rounds on the baking tray. Brush with egg yolk and then put the remaining rounds (with centres removed) on top. Press to seal a bit. Brush with egg yolk mixture again.
- 6. Refrigerate for about 20 minutes – 30 minutes to make sure pastry is cold.
- 7. Bake for about 15 – 20 minutes till puff pastry is golden brown.
- 8. To make the chicken:
- 9. Marinate chicken with salt, pepper, vinegar and garlic paste. Boil or grill till tender. Once chicken is cool, shred or finely chop. Set aside.
- 10. To make white sauce & mushrooms:
- 11. Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a large pan. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and saute for a minute. Add mushrooms with ½ teaspoon salt & ½ teaspoon black pepper. Saute for 3-4 minutes till cooked through. Take out mushroom mixture and set aside.
- 12. In the same pan, add 2 tablespoons more butter. Add flour and saute for 30 seconds to remove the raw flavor and form a roux. Add milk and whisk constantly to ensure no lumps.
- 13. Add ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper & rosemary to season the white sauce. Turn off the heat once sauce is thickened. Let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- 14. Add the shredded chicken and mushrooms to the white sauce. Taste & season as necessary. Set aside.
- 15. To assemble:
- 16. Take out the golden brown vol-au-vents and spoon the chicken & mushroom filling. Put it in the oven for 2-3 minutes to warm up.
- 17. Serve hot with fresh herbs on top.
Notes:Photo Credits: Shutterstock.com