No need to go to a Chinese restaurant to have fried wontons - make these oriental crispy snacks in your own kitchen.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- 300 grams chicken mince
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 – 2 teaspoons cornflour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ tablespoon oil (can substitute a few drops of chili oil or sesame oil for more flavor)
- Wonton wrappers (available in stores or can be ordered in square form from a samosa wala)
- Water, to seal wontons
- Oil, for frying
- 1. Take a large bowl and add minced chicken, onions and green chili. Mix well.
- 2. Add cornflour, salt, white pepper & oil. Toss and set aside.
- 3. Take out wonton wrappers from the fridge. Make sure you are only taking out 1-2 at a time for filling as they do tend to dry out.
- 4. Place the wonton wrapper on a flat surface. Put about 2 teaspoons of the filling (adjust based on the size of wrappers) in the middle. Use your finger or a pastry brush to apply water at the edges of the wonton wrapper.
- 5. Bring the wonton wrappers up and twist from the top as if you are sealing a parcel. Make sure it is completely sealed and closed.
- 6. Heat oil in a frying pan / wok / karahi.
- 7. Add wontons and deep fry till golden. Make sure you cook on low-medium heat as the filling needs to cook from inside.
Notes:Instead of 300 grams chicken you can do a mixture of chicken & shrimps - 200 grams chicken with 100 grams minced shrimp will be a delicious twist.