Butter Chicken or Murgh Makhani
This traditional North Indian dish requires chicken to be marinated and grilled after which it is simmered in a rich & creamy tomato based gravy.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes (plus 3 - 4 hours marination)
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- For Chicken Marination
- ½ kg boneless chicken
- 1teaspoon vinegar or lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ cup strained yoghurt or hung curd
- ½ teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- For Butter Chicken Gravy
- 2 tablespoons butter
- One 1-inch cinnamon stick (broken into pieces)
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- 1 teaspoon. ginger garlic paste
- 1 – 1 ½ cups tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to suit your taste and color)
- Cashewnut paste or almond paste
- ½ teaspoon. garam masala powder
- ½ tablespoon. kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves)
- ½ cup cream
- Coriander leaves (dhaniya) for garnishing
- 1. Marinate the chicken with vinegar, salt, red chili powder,oil, ginger garlic paste, yoghurt and turmeric. Mix well.
- 2. Set aside in the fridge to marinate for at least 3-4 hours.
- 3. Heat oil in a pan. Add marinated chicken and cook on medium – high flame till water evaporates.
- 4. Cook on medium flame till chicken is tender. Make sure it doesn’t burn.
- 5. Set aside on a pan.
- 6. Heat a pan with 2-3 tablespoons of oil.
- 7. Add cinnamon, green cardamoms (choti elaichi) & cloves (laung). Fry for 30 – 45 seconds then add ginger garlic paste. Cook for another minute till the raw flavor is gone.
- 8. Add tomato puree, red chili powder and salt. Cook on low – medium heat until the tomato puree becomes thick and begins to leave the sides of the pan. Keep stirring to make sure the tomato paste doesn’t splatter.
- 9. Add water and cashew or almond paste. Bring the mix to a boil and let it simmer for 3 – 4 minutes.
- 10. Add the prepared chicken and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes till chicken is tender.
- 11. Add garam masala, kasuri methi and cream. Stir through and cook for a minute or so.
- 12. Garnish the chicken makhni with coriander leaves (dhaniya) and fresh cream.