Orange Loaf Cake
This moist orange loaf cake is perfect with a cup of tea! It's light and the orange flavor adds a beautiful zing!
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 75 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- For the Cake:
- 3/4 cup butter, cut in cubes and softened
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1.5 tablespoons orange tang (dissolved in water)
- 1 ¾ cups plain flour (maida)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- For the syrup:
- 1 tablespoon Orange Tang
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Orange zest (from one orange)
- 1. Butter and line your loaf pan with brown parchment paper.
- 2. Dissolve 1.5 tablespoons Orange Tang in water.
- 3. Take a large bowl and add butter and sugar.
- 4. Beat butter & sugar with a hand beater till it turns a light yellow color.
- 5. Slowly add the eggs to the butter & cream mixture. Beat well after every addition.
- 6. Add vanilla essence, Orange Tang then beat for about 15 – 30 seconds.
- 7. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- 8. Add flour mixture to the egg mixture and beat.
- 9. Add milk and beat well.
- 10. Pour the cake mixture into the prepared loaf tin.
- 11. Place the cake in an oven and bake at 180 C for 45 minutes – 1 hour. Insert a skewer / toothpick in the cake to check if it is done.
- 12. Take out the cake and transfer it to a wire rack. Let it cool.
- 13. In the meanwhile make the orange syrup by dissolving 1 tablespoon Orange tang, 1/4th cup sugar, orange zest and water. Mix well.
- 14. Once the cake is cool, use a skewer to prick holes all over the top of the cake.
- 15. Gently pour the syrup mixture all over the surface of the cake, distributing evenly.
- 16. Serve.