Afghani Pulao is known for the use of dry fruits which not only look pretty but also add flavor to the dish.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 60 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- Oil 3/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon mixed whole spices (sabit garam masala)
- 1 teaspoon white cumin seeds (sufaid zeera)
- Brown Onions ½ cup
- 1 kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Stock Cube 1
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder (elaichi powder)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- ½ kg sela rice (par-boiled rice)
- 20 almonds, blanched (Soak almonds in boiling water and peel skins)
- 10 cashews
- 10 pistachios, blanched
- 20 raisins (kishmish), soaked
- 2 tablespoon coconut (sliced)
- 1 carrot, sliced
- Sugar 2 tablespoon
- 1. Heat oil.
- 2. Add whole spices, brown onions and chicken. Fry well till chicken changes color.
- 3. Add white cumin seeds (sufaid zeera), green cardamom powder and salt. Saute for 15 – 30 seconds.
- 4. Add stock cube with 4 cups of water. Cover and cook till chicken is nearly done.
- 5. Add soaked rice and cook on simmer till done.
- 6. In the meanwhile, fry all the nuts separately along with the coconut. Be careful while frying to make sure they don’t burn.
- 7. Heat the sugar and caramelize it in a pan. Add sliced carrot and coat.
- 8. Once rice is done, take it out in a platter.
- 9. Garnish with fried nuts and caramelized carrots