Mash ki Daal
Mash ki Daal is a staple dinner item made in most Pakistani households.
- PREP TIME: 20 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 1 Pao or 250 grams Mash ki Daal (Split husked black gram/Urad dal)– 250 gms
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 large Onion, finely sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger, finely grated
- Salt – to taste
- 3 Small green chillies, finely sliced, for garnish
- Cilantro and Mint leaves – finely chopped, for garnish
- 1. Wash Mash ki Daal and soak for about 20 minutes.
- 2. Drain the daal and add it to a pressure cooker. Add 1.5 cups of fresh water, along with ginger and salt. Follow the directions of your pressure cooker and cook the daal till soft (about 5 minutes). Make sure that the pressure is released before opening the cooker.
- 3. Once the daal is cooked, place it in a serving dish.
- 4. Heat oil in a small frying pan. Add sliced onion and fry them till caramelized and golden. Remove the onions with a slotted spoon and pour them over the daal.
- 5. Garnish with the tempering oil along with the sliced green chilles & coriander leaves.
Notes:Photo credits: Shutterstock