Murgh Cholay is a Lahore specialty - enjoy this comforting dish for a weeknight dinner.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 40 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 1 cup oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4-5 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ½ kg chicken
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon whole garam masala (sabit garam masala – peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom)
- 1 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups boiled chickpeas (sufaid cholay)
- Ginger, julienne for garnish
- Green chilies for garnish
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- 1. Heat oil.
- 2. Add onions and fry till golden brown. Take them out in a bowl.
- 3. In a blender, add onions and chopped tomatoes. Pulse for a few seconds till smooth. Set aside.
- 4. In the same oil, add chicken and cook on high heat till color changes.
- 5. Once the chicken color changes, add blended onions mixture.
- 6. Add ginger garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric, coriander powder, garam masala powder, Whole garam masala and salt.
- 7. Turn heat on low and cook for about 30 minutes till chicken is tender.
- 8. Add boiled chickpeas with ½ cup to 1 cup water and cook for 5 minutes.
- 9. In the end add finely julienne ginger, green chilies and coriander leaves.
- 10. Let simmer for 5 minutes and serve hot.