Serve this mutton karahi with tandoori naan and raita. If you are rushed on time, use a pressure cooker to reduce the cooking time.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 30 minutes
- SERVINGS: 6 persons
- 1 kg mutton
- 1/2 kg tomatoes
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup (200 grams) butter
- 1 cup heaped yogurt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala (Pakistani allspice)
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds (crushed)
- 1 tablespoon coriander Leaves
- 3 green chilies, sliced
- 2 tablespoon ginger, julienne cut
- 1. Put mutton, tomatoes, sliced onion salt, chili powder, red pepper flakes along with 2 cups water in a pressure cooker. Cook for 20 minutes until just tender. Be careful when opening the pressure cooker – make sure you follow manufacturer instructions.
- 2. Heat butter in a karahi / wok. Add mutton (along with juices) and yoghurt. Keep frying (bhunofying) on medium – high heat till the oil separates and comes on top.
- 3. Add black pepper, garam masala and coriander seeds.
- 4. Garnish with coriander leaves, sliced ginger and chilies.
- 5. Serve with tandoori naan or chapatti.
Notes:Photo Credits: Shutterstock.com The quickest way to cook mutton is to use a pressure cooker. However, if you don't have one available use your preferred meat tenderizer and cook covered on a low flame till tender.