A twist on the British classic, this Shepherd's Pie has layers of puff pastry, mashed potatoes and chicken.
- PREP TIME: 10 minutes
- COOK TIME: 60 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 250 grams puff pastry
- Potato Layer
- 2 large potatoes boiled, peeled and mashed
- 2 tablespoon chopped coriander (hara dhaniya)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- Chicken Layer
- 250 grams boneless chicken, boiled and shredded
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoon butter, softened
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- White Sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour (maida)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Red chili flakes, for garnish
- Black olives, for garnish
- Finely julienne capsicum, for garnish
- 1. Potato Layer
- 2. Add the mashed potatoes in a large bowl. Add chopped coriander, green chilies, chopped onion, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt and 1 teaspoon red chili powder. Mix well. Set aside.
- 3. Chicken Layer
- 4. Put the shredded chicken in a bowl. Add 1 teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon salt, 4 tablespoon softened butter and ½ cup mayonnaise. Mix well and set aside.
- 5. White Sauce
- 6. Make white sauce by heating 1 tablespoon butter. Add 1 tablespoon flour and whisk well for 30 – 45 seconds till the raw flavor goes away. Add milk while stirring constantly. Cook till the white sauce is thickened and then add oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Set aside.
- 7. Assembly
- 8. Divide the puff pastry into three equal portions.
- 9. Sprinkle some flour on a cold surface and then roll the puff pastry thin.
- 10. Start assembling Shepherd’s pie by putting one layer of puff pastry in a glass baking dish.
- 11. Put a layer of mashed potatoes then puff pastry again.
- 12. Put the chicken mixture, top with the white sauce and then a final layer of the puff pastry.
- 13. Apply beaten egg on top of the puff pastry and then sprinkle some red chili pepper on top.
- 14. Bake for 20 – 30 minutes in a pre-heated oven on 180 C till crust is golden brown and crispy.
- 15. 2-3 minutes before taking the shepherd’s pie out of the oven, top with julienne cut capsicum and black olives.
- 16. Serve hot.
Notes:Photo Credits: Kiran Afzal Puff pastry is available at most supermarkets across town or at bakeries like Tee-Emm Mart, French Bakery or Ideal Bakery .