Chicken / Murghi ka Salan
This chicken curry is a variation of the basic murghi ka salan that is made almost every week in a Pakistani household.
- PREP TIME: 15 minutes
- COOK TIME: 45 minutes
- SERVINGS: 4 persons
- 4-5 tablespoons oil
- 1 kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 4-6 large tomatoes, chopped or 400 ml can chopped tomatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 ½ - 2 cups water, divided
- Coriander leaves, for garnish
- 1. Heat oil on medium in a medium pan.
- 2. Add onions and saute till they turn light golden.
- 3. Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 45 seconds – 1 minute.
- 4. Add tomatoes, salt, chili pepper and turmeric (haldi).
- 5. Turn heat to medium – high and fry the mixture stirring constantly. Keep stirring until sauce has reduced a bit.
- 6. Add chicken pieces along with ½ cup of water and cook on medium heat for about 10 – 15 minutes. Stir constantly.
- 7. Once the oil starts separating, add 1 to 1 ½ cups water and cover with a lid. Cook on simmer for 20 – 25 minutes till chicken is cooked through. The oil will separate and come on top of the curry.
- 8. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with roti or rice.